Coffee table for recliner sofa or sectional: 9 handpicked quality choices for you...
Firstly, why do we even need to discuss coffee tables specific to seating furniture?
Well, not all couches are created equal. If you know, you know. Although if you don’t, worry not because we’ll tell you. That’s what we’re here for! Essentially, not every great coffee table will go with all types of couches or sectionals. You have to put in some deliberation before buying a coffee table for recliner sofa or sectional. To emphasize (or defend) why we’re being so picky, lets talk about the various types of living room seating furniture. Very broadly speaking, there are two kinds. We say ‘big’ because we’re excluding all the single-seat items like arm-chairs, stools, single recliners, love-seats, ottoman seats and the like. These types are:
- Couches or sofas: While historically different, in current times, the terms “couch” and “sofa” have become synonymous. They are a single piece of sitting furniture usually made to seat 2 to 3 people. More commonly seen in smaller apartments and condos as compact sized are more easily available.
- Sectionals: A more modern day concept, sectionals are multiple full-and-part sofas joined together to seat a larger number of people. They naturally take up more space and are more common in detached and semi-detached houses as well as larger apartments.
Life would be easy and simple if that’s where it ended, the categorization of large seating furniture. But it doesn’t. There are numerous sub-types of sofas and sectionals. Let’s see:
1. Sectionals with a chaise
2. L-shaped sectionals
3. U-shaped sectionals
4. R-shaped sectionals (hah! kidding)
5. Pitted sectionals (not kidding, we promise)
6. Semi-circular sectionals
7. Convertible sectionals
8. Cocktail sectionals
9. Recliner sectionals
10. And potentially some more to be invented between the writing and reading of this post
1. Regular 2-seat sofa
2. Regular 3-seat sofa
3. 2+2 seat sofa set
4. 3+2 seat sofa set
5. 2+1+1 seat sofa set
6. Recliner sofa
7. Convertible sofas (sleeper sofas, storage sofas, futons, bunk beds with futons)
You get the drift. As a result, if you want your living room to look cutting edge (we know you do!), you can’t just go buy a great coffee table for yourself. You’ve got to buy an item that is color matched, size matched, material matched AND height+flexibility+utility matched.
A coffee table for recliner sofa or sectional would have to take into account:
- the material of the couch/sectional, which is often leather and not everything does with it
- the amount of space available (counter-intuitively, big sectionals often enjoy less open space)
- how reachable it should and can be from a reclined position
- does this Batman need a Robin? Think side tables, end tables, small ottomans to compliment etc.
Please note, all products we bring to you come with free delivery within USA!
The first factor: Material of the recliner sofa/sectional
Leather is the traditional, more popular recliner material. While times are evolving and we have more choices today, more often than not a recliner sofa or sectional will be made of leather and will be a shade of brown or black. And why not, leather has the unique ability to offer class, comfort as well as appropriate firmness expected from a recliner.
Such sofas need coffee tables that are:
– higher off the ground or not the low-to-the-floor kind as they would be difficult to reach
– in the same color family as the couch (complimentary colors don’t often work with leather)
– non-minimalist in design (given a leather recliner is as non-minimalist as it gets)
Recliner sofas and sectionals made from fabric are gaining popularity these days. They have the benefit of being able to be sleek and modern, unlike leather recliners that are usually large and bulky-looking. What this in turn means is you can expect to be lower to the ground, more sunken in than you would be on leather. This opens up more possibilities in regards to coffee tables that would fit well.
Such sofas can work with coffee tables that are:
– Modern and minimalist. You could try more unique coffee table designs
– Low-to-the ground coffee tables are feasible options, though higher ones would still offer more convenience of reach
– For darker color fabric, similar color guidelines would apply as they did for leather recliners
– For lighter color fabric, you could go all out. Complimentary colors would brighten up the living room
Do browse through some of the options we have reviewed below that would go great with your recliner furniture!
- Top contender for best ottoman under $300
- Very fine craftsmanship and stitching
- Very comfortable top, good weight on the base
- Upholstery is easy to maintain with stain resistant technology
- Minimal assembly required, available in multiple colors
- We couldn’t spot one (not solid wood, given the price?)
LRT score: 9/10
- Grand looking, black metal framework, perfect for a leather recliner
- Original solid reclaimed wood gives an upscale look
- High off the ground, easy to reach from a recliner
- Large top area, lots of storage in the shelf below
- Some brick and mortar stores sell similar tables for 4-5 times more
- Takes some assembly for a coffee table, but quite manageable
LRT score: 8/10
The second factor: Space available for the table
Again, we’ll start with the more popular setup. Recliner sofas, given they’re a single piece unit seating 2-3 people, will have a larger uninhibited space in front of them. This would mean there are fewer restrictions on the size of the coffee table that would go with them.
We recommend a square or rectangular shape for both looks and comfort. Since piece recliner sofa and square/rectangular coffee table would share a form of symmetry that’ll please the eye. It will also be easier to reach from all locations on the sofa itself.
As fabric recliners are gaining popularity, so are recliner sectionals. While leather recliner sectionals do exist, they’re even bulkier than leather sofa recliners. Few urban homes have space for them. Fabric recliner sectionals on the other hand, can be accommodated more easily. However, given all sectionals (fabric and leather) are bigger than sofas, space remaining for a coffee table is usually lesser
In these conditions, we recommend a medium sized coffee table for recliner sofa and sectionals. Even if you have the square feet to spare, a large coffee table may not be best aesthetically, as it may protrude out of the general area. A round coffee table can be a good idea here. It would be accessible from all units of the sectional and will leave space for the comings and goings of occupants.
Check out some more coffee table reviews we feel you may be interested in for your recliners!
Would likely work best with a sofa, given large size
- Stunning color combination
- Great combination of sleek, modern and rustic appearance
- Large top area, good utility
- Great value for money at this price.
- Some customers report assembly took longer than they expected
LRT score: 8/10
- Metal frame, mix ofnew and reclaimed solid wood. Very chic
- Very versatile color and size, would go great with sofa or sectional, leather or fabric.
- Two other sizes available from the seller, more choices for you!
- Easy to assemble
- None, this is one of our favorites on the page!
LRT score: 9/10
- Good height, round, perfect for large recliner sectionals
- Sturdy metal frame, top good to hold 300 lbs!
- Among the better choices if you have a leather recline
- Easy to assemble
- Not solid wood, just wood finished (expected at this price point)
LRT score: 8/10
- One of the smartest looking tables you’ll lay ever your eyes on
- Ultra sleek, modern design. Gets perfect LRT score
- Steel top!
- Oak wood
- White ash wood color available as well
- Some brick and mortar stores will sell at well over 4-figures
- No bottom shelf for people who prefer so
LRT score: 10/10
The third factor: How reachable do you want it to be?
“Very. duh!”. We know we know. This aspect of the decision is more around how reachable can a coffee table really be when you’re in the fully reclined position? Regular coffee tables won’t be very accessible, but there isn’t much we can do about it. Or is there?
We scoured the internet to research and review some innovative lift-top coffee tables that may make relaxing and binge-watching shows on your recliners a bit more comfortable. Lift-top tables, as their name suggests, have a part or all of their top lift up and come closer to the user. As far as recliner sofas are concerned, that’s twice the good news, because a table top lifts to get closer AND higher. We all know how irritating it can be haul our torso up to pick up (or drop off) that glass or bottle and fall back, only to have to lift ourselves again for something else. A lift-top coffee table may take some of that work away. We at Living Room Things believe this is the best type of coffee table for recliner sofa you can get your hands on. It’s the all inclusive package.
Check out the options below. Go to the seller sites to browse photos and videos to confirm how well these would pair with your recliner sofa or sectional!
- A rare breath-taking piece with a perfect LRT score
- Solid high quality mango wood and metal used. As upscale as it gets
- A wide selection of colors and sizes offered by the seller
- Be ready to receive frequent compliments from guests
- Absolutely none.
LRT score: 10/10
- This lift-top seems to be made for leather recliners. Color, height etc.
- Numerous storage spaces plus a hidden area beneath the top!
- Assembly is easy, though 2 people will make it way easier
- As expected, only wood finished, given the price
LRT score: 8/10
A few alternatives/additions for you to consider
Let’s think outside the ‘coffee table’ box here for a moment. There are some incredible alternatives you should consider to pair with your recliner sofa or sectional. We published an entire article comparing an ottoman vs a coffee table for your living room. We’ve discussed in-depth, when can you consider going for one over the other. All those suggestions apply equally to our discussion here and you’d do well to place a nice ottoman in front of your recliner.
Additionally, you could consider a handy side table for your recliner sofa or sectional. That way, you have a place for your snack plate and wine glass extremely accessible on your side when you’re fully reclined and enjoying the TV.
A couple of examples for your to browse below:
You can see how many variables and decisions go into figuring out the best coffee table for recliner sofa. Hopefully we’ve given you enough ideas on how to decide and more importantly, a plethora of options on this page to choose from. We wish you all the fun and relaxation on your recliners! Please reach out to us if we can be of more help and we’ll be happy to.
We love that you’re curious enough to be reading our fine print! At ‘Living Room Things’, we love to constantly research and learn new trends about living room furniture and share it with the world. You will have noticed links across our pages that take you to external websites. Some of these links are known as affiliate links, which means we could earn a small commission if you end up purchasing products or services from those external websites. We only direct you to businesses whose products and services we have tried and tested thoroughly and we completely assure you of their reliability and legitimacy. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
This small revenue stream helps us to continue doing what we do, that is keep connecting great products and services to people like you. If you decide to make a purchase through one of our links, please accept our deepest gratitude and know that you have helped us and all our future readers!